Are you looking for a fun art & craft project that uses items that you already have on hand? This cardboard craft is a budget-friendly heart wreath that can be customized to your own design. This is a great project for kids of all ages!
Simple & Sweet Valentine Craft
Today, I am going to share with you this quick & simple project my kids made in art class. A sweet Valentine’s Day wreath made from discarded cardboard paper rolls.
I love to watch kids create their own versions of the craft project. Allowing them to show their own creativity & style.
Crafting, repurposing & DIY projects are daily happenings in our home. It is a way of enjoying the simple things in life and the joy of turning treasure from trash and creating something new.
We have many project ideas for both adults & kids of all ages to share so be sure to join our email list for exclusives & updates!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my disclosure policy here.
Materials Needed for this Cardboard Craft
- Cardboard rolls (toilet paper, paper towel, gift paper rolls, or packing rolls)
- Paint – spray paint, chalk paint, or acrylic paint (here’s the paint we use)
- Glue (glue gun or your choice of glue)
- Optional embellishments (glitter, sequins, ribbons)
- Ribbon or jute string for a tie to hang your wreath
- Paint Platter or paper plate (if choosing to dip your paint on)
- Paint Brush (if choosing to brush your paint on)
- Clothespins (to hold the rolls together while they dry)
It’s Time to Create your Cardboard Craft
1. Cut your cardboard pieces in the thickness you choose. (We did ours in 1-2 inches)
2. Then layout your heart in the size that you choose to make sure you have enough pieces cut.
3. Then choose your paint method, colors & paint!
- Let them dry for a few hours then they are ready to glue!
- Place them back into the size of heart you want. If you would like to dip the ends in glitter now is the time to do that.
- Grab your glue and place some on one piece at a time
- Pinch each piece together & clip till glue dries
Making sure to glue one at a time so you can maintain the shape of the heart the way you’d like it
Even the one we tried with Elmer’s glue dried quickly. Once your heart is all dry you can add any type of embellishments you wish. You can add a ribbon or jute twine to hang your heart or place it on a shelf!
More Valentine’s Day Fun
Pin now for later
Shop Our Favorite CRAFT & DIY Supplies for KIDS!
Here are our FAVORITE art & craft supplies for KIDS! They have been KID tested & Mom approved! These items will be used in countless craft and DIY projects that we will be sharing with you! I have added the shopping links to the products below so you can have these items on hand as well!
- Tulip Dimensional Fabric Paint (extra bottles of white for the look of icing)
- Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint by Plaid (even though it’s very inexpensive we have never had a problem with coverage or paint drying out.
- Kassa Watercolor Set – Painting Kit for Kids & Adults – Bundle Includes Water Brush Pen (3 Assorted Sizes), Water Color Paper (30 Sheets) & Watercolor Paint Set (21 Colors) – I can not say enough about the quality of this set – and it is mess-free!
4. Sculpey Polymer Clay – I could do an entire post just on the different things my kids create each week with this amazing clay!
5. Air Dry Clay by DAS– This is the easiest to work with brand that we have found. Both the kids & I use this brand in a variety of projects.
Markers & Pens
6. Permanent Sharpie Markers – Of course, for younger kids, these need supervision or you may find permanent artwork in places you’d prefer not to. There are some art projects that welcome a non-smearing or fading marker & these fit the bill! 30 colors of Sharpies
7. Chalk Markers by Kassa – The colors are vibrant & go on smooth! We love using these vs regular chalk, less dust & sticks to surfaces better.
8. Arteza Gel Pens (metallic) – Love this brand for all kinds of gel pens! They seem to not “smudge” like other brands. You can buy replacement cartridges so it is less waste & saves money!
Glue & Sealer
9. Mod Podge Water-based Sealer, Glue & Decoupage Finis (gloss version) & (matte version). They have a variety of different kinds of sealers depending on your project needs.
10. Gorilla Dual Temp Glue Gun – Parent supervision for younger kids. We like this brand for a smaller glue gun – this set even comes with the sticks!